Wednesday, March 02, 2005

'Buy quality, and cry once'

I'm in the process of buying a new laptop PC. It is not an easy task to make a choice amongst the myriad of models available. Choosing between different configurations, CPU speeds, memory sizes, LCD sizes, LCD resolutions, wide screen, weight, style, dimensions and robustness. I shall not continue down the list.

I have narrowed down my choices to an IBM Thinkpad. I have always been impressed by the Thinkpads. Ever since I worked for an authorized distributor of IBM, Compaq and HP computers in my first summer job. My responsibilities included installation and occasionally fixing problems. That was not an easy job...but I digress.

For my laptop, I've decided that a 14" display is optimal. Together with a Pentium Centrino M 1.7G CPU, 512M RAM and at least 40GB of Hard disk space. The IBM T42 has this configuration and all in a compact 1" thick sub 5 pounds package. I'm also going to settle for a regular XGA 14" LCD. The higher resolution SXGA+ 14" LCD would be luxurious but I shall not indulge at this time.

Even without the SXGA+ display, the laptop still tops $1500 USD. Ouch. Certainly more expensive than comparable models from competitors. That's the price to pay for the quality of an IBM.

I read a great quote from a user at an IBM Thinkpad forum. A Thinkpad owner, he justified his purchase with a quote that his father taught him when he was young:

"Buy quality, and cry once'

I love this quote.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is extremely interesting for me to read this post. Thanks the author for it. I like such themes and everything connected to them. BTW, try to add some images :).